Charles M. Evans manufactured Doctor Hoofland’s Celebrated German Bitters in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Christolph Wilheim Hoofland invented the eponymous bitters in Germany in the 1840s and the product was introduced in America in 1850 by Charles M. Jackson. C.M. Evans was a clerk in Jackson's firm. By 1863, business directories listed Jones and Evans as patent medicine manufacturers, and beginning in 1864, they are listed as the manufacturers of Hoofland’s German Bitters. Beginning in 1867, business directories list Evans as the sole proprietor of Hoofland’s German Bitters. C.M. Evans had an essay prepared, most likely in 1866.
C.M. Evans Essay
In 1873, Johnson, Holloway & Co. took over the production of Hoofland’s German Bitters. Johnson, Holloway & Co. had their own private die stamps engraved in 1874.
Johnson, Holloway & Co. Private Die Proprietary Stamps
Blue cameo corner card for Dr. C.M. Jackson, Philadelphia, P.A., Proprietor of Dr. Hoofland's German Bitters, franked with 3¢ dull red 1851, postmarked Philadelphia, September 30, circa 1851-57. This was prior to C.M. Evans' acquisition of Jackson's business.
Black cameo-style corner card for Jones & Evans Proprietors of Dr. C.M. Jackson Hoofland's German Medicines, franked with 3¢ rose 1861, postmarked Philadelphia, August 11, circa 1864 - 1866. Based upon business direcory listings, Jones and Evans were listed as partners in producing Hoofland's German Medicines between 1864 and 1866. By 1867, Evans was listed as the sole proprietor.
Johnson & Holloway continued to promote Dr. Hoofland's products, as demonstrated by this 1879 issue of Hoofland's Almanac, by Johnson, Holloway & Co.