Skip to main content

www.dalessandris.net

Home
Cross Border Mail
Private Die Essays
Peter Eichele
Eisenhart's Matches
Electric Match Co.
Eugene A. Jones
E.W. King
D.M. Richardson
J. Winslow Jones
Demas Barnes
B Brandreth
Wm. E. Clarke
C.M. Evans
Helmbold
Holloway & Co.
Bennett Pieters & Co.
J.B. Rose & Co.
University Medicines
X. Bazin
Dr. Gounod
George W. Laird
Lawrence & Cohen
Embossed Revenues
L&K Revenues
L&K Postal History
Washington County
Frosinone Postal History
AQ Lettersheets
Woodworking
Contact Us
Site Map
The die was originally engraved in 1864 for the Greenleaf Match Company of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Greenleaf & Co. Stamp

 

The Greenleaf Match Company was a partnership of Frank H. Greenleaf, P.B. Hill, and Samuel Ball.  In 1867 or 1868, Greenleaf retired, and the match factory was operated by Barber & Co. with Edward Barber, Hill, and Ball being the partners.  Barber & Co. continued to use the Greenleaf stamps until 1873, when the company was succeeded by Barber, Jones & Co.

Barber, Jones & Co. Stamp


In the new company, Edward Barber, Eugene A. Jones, and Priam B. Hill were partners. The new company had the Greenleaf stamp modified with the addition of “B. J. & Co.” over the phoenix in the central medallion, while retaining the name Greenleaf & Co. in the ribbon at the top of the stamp. By January 1874, Edward Barber apparently left the company and the name changed to Eugene A. Jones & Co.

Eugene A. Jones & Co. Essay and Compound Die Essay

In January 1874, the new company instructed Carpenter to modify the “B. J. & Co.” die by removing the name “Greenleaf and Co.” and replacing it with “Eugene A. Jones & Co.” In February 1874, they also requested that Carpenter remove the “B. J. & Co.” from the die. Despite this request, the essay approved by the Internal Revenue Service on March 3, 1874 retains the “B. J. & Co.” imprint over the phoenix in the central medallion, as do all of the recorded die essays.  This essay also exists as a compound die proof with the 2¢ Barry's Proprietary proof.  On March 4, 1874 Carpenter wrote that, “[t]he new plate from altered die of Greenleaf & Co., later Barber, Jones & Co., is ready for the press.” No plate essays are known, and no stamps were ever ordered from the plate. 

Kirby & Sons Stamp

 

This was probably due to the fact that by August of 1874, the company had taken on a new partner and was then known as Kirby & Jones.  By April 1875 the company was succeeded by Kirby & Sons, which may have used the B.J. & Co. stamps until November 1875, when the Kirby & Sons stamps were first issued.  Kirby & Sons then modified the B. J. & Co. die to remove the "B. J. & Co." and replaced the Greenleaf & Co. name with Kirby & Sons. 

ValorConseil